Even though PR never stops, it slows down a bit between Christmas and New Years, giving us all a prime opportunity to get things in order for the craziness that begins in January. With a to-do list that spans several pages, we needed to figure out what was going to be the most important things to do now, to make 2018 more successful and less stressful. Here are the five things we decided to put at the top of the list:
- Make New Friends. Media relationships are the most important part of public relations, so we decided to reach out and make some new connections. With just a few simple emails saying “Hi – We noticed that Mugsy PR doesn’t work as often as we would like with your outlet. Would you be willing to have a cup of coffee to discuss how our communication with you and your team can be more beneficial for all?”. We have had meetings all week and stories planned for clients in outlets they haven’t been covered in before. Score!
- Refresh All Media Lists. Sure, we all redo our media lists on a regular basis on Cision, but when was the last time you REALLY did research on niche media for your clients? Google, Reddit, Podcast Round-ups, Up and Coming Blogs – there are so many ways to find media these days, and one of the best things you can do is a semi-annual sweep of all your lists to make sure it is out with the old and in with the new for 2018!
- Learn Something New. Sign up for a new social media platform, download a new app, find software to help agency logistics – anything that can help create an easier, more streamlined way to do your work in the new year. Work smarter, not harder is a motto that holds true forever. Automation is the goal!
- Organize Your Calendar. One main agency calendar, housed online (we use Google calendars but there are apps, programs, etc) where everyone has access is one of the easiest ways to keep everyone on the same page. Sure, it takes a few hours to create and update the first time, but once the entire team gets used to using it, it will change your world!
- TAKE A BREAK! We all need to refresh and PR is super stressful, so take a break while you can. That extra hour of sleep or day by the pool will make all the difference when January 2 hits and you’re back in the thick of things!
Happy New Year!!!!