No one ever said that working in PR was going to be easy. As a matter of fact, it has been listed as one of the most stressful jobs to have. We live on no sleep, consistent pressure to produce for our clients, and a ton of coffee (or in Sarah’s case, water and tea!).
I of course knew that part of working in PR was keeping up on the news – in print, on tv and on the radio, online, etc. The part I did not see coming was how incredibly depressing the news was going to become.
Don’t get me wrong, it has ALWAYS been a lot of car accidents, crime, depressing world news, sad local stories, and so on, but it feels like day after day, week after week the news is getting harder to hear. On shows that used to feature celebrity news and cooking segments and fashion, there are now hard news segments, politics slinking into the segments and more.
The flip side to technology and of-the-moment broadcasting is that we know so much. And if knowing is half the battle, the other half is forgetting.
This morning I woke up and I just couldn’t do it. I had the news blues. Instead of turning on I went outside, I talked to neighbors, I had a cup of coffee looking at the clouds instead of my phone, and I didn’t follow a single thing that was going on.
I just now logged on at 1:30pm and there is an active shooter in Dallas at North Lake College. There are coal workers trapped in a mine in Iran. And more people care that you could see Kendall Jenner’s bare butt cheeks at the Met Gala.
What do you do when you get the “News Blues”? How do you shake the funk when your job is to know what is going on in the world, and to create MORE stories to add to it? I love my job, but we could all use some advice now and then, and I need to know – how do you keep your happy?
The world has been spinning with politics, a new Pope with new ideas, and a lot of worldly controversy, and yet, #AngryBirds has a movie coming out, so guess what’s been trending on social media…
What else has the world deemed “important” news this week?
Well…Men have started learning how to braid. Yay? Smells Like Teen Spirit beat out John Lennon’s Imagine as the most iconic song of all time according to science (um…Really?!), and Kate Hudson’s company JustFab is in big trouble.
‘Girl power’ toys are having a big week which is pretty cool. The Barbie fishing pole helped this father/daughter team reel in a big one (so cute!) and Lammily dolls (known as ‘Normal Barbie’) now comes with maxi pads.
In general it has been a long week and to be honest, we just want to be this guy for a moment, chilling out and driving the puppy train.
It has been a long Monday and a busy day. We needed a brain break, so instead of hard hitting, real news – here is my gift to you – everything I am distracting the Mugsy office with today.
1. Getting High. Forget flying IN a plane, now you can walk on top of an airplane in flight with the Breitling wing-walking team in England.
2. We know Leia owns a bikini…Awesome artist renditions of Star Wars characters on vacation.
3. Feel the Beat. Male dancer killed it at the Miami Heat auditions this weekend!
4. Hello Boobies. NY is going topless and the reason is important. Read more.
5. Sleepy or Crazy? Can a yawn determine if you are a psychopath?
What a sad, weird week it has been and it is only Wednesday. We started the week with the sad news about Hitchbot, the hitchhiking robot who was destroyed two weeks into his US trek and ended today with a discussion about Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog’s break-up after 40 years (marketing ploy for the new show?), so below are some of the stories that made us smile so far this week, because goodness knows we needed it!
1. IS ManKind? Airbnb hired a new Global Marketing Director and came out with the amazing “Is ManKind?” campaign. Though it was created with positive intentions, reviews are mixed and a lot of people find it downright creepy. Check it out on their website and then read Business Insider’s review for the hilarious reactions on Twitter.
2. What the…What?!? No one was injured so it is perfectly acceptable to laugh about the fact that traffic in Ireland was held up this week when a Minion (Despicable Me) created havoc. Ok, it was a 30ft+ inflatable balloon of a Minion, but the media headlines were smile worthy.
3. NSFW but Worth It. I love me some superheroes and Deadpool is one of the best, so my hump day was made when I saw the official trailer for the film…particularly the NSFW version.
4. Free the Bacon. After watching the NSFW trailer we got into quite the discussion yesterday about male nudity because Kevin Bacon came out with his perfect “Free the Bacon” campaign, calling for more male nudity in Hollywood films and TV shows. Parody or not, it is a great call for more equality.
5. Feel the Burn. And finally, in news everyone was waiting for (we like it spicy here at Mugsy!) – hot sauce may help save your life. Eat up!
Wow this has been a hell of a week. From a tragic movie theater shooting in Lafayette to leprosy infected armadillos in Florida, the Mugsy minds have been buzzing. Where to even begin today? Below are just five of the many, many things we have been chatting about. Don’t forget to comment below and tell us what is on YOUR mind too!
1. I Shall Call It Earth 2. A new planet similar to Earth was found by NASA in the Milky Way. They think it could be a habitable “cousin planet” to Earth. Let the space travel begin!
2. New All-Stars. After 98 years of success with their style, Converse has come out with their first new sneaker design. The only sneakers I own are All Stars so this is pretty exciting. What do you think?
3. The Most Fruitful of All. Syracuse Professor and local artist Sam Van Aken has designed a tree that is a hybrid, able to bear 40 different types of fruit. The video is amazing. Check it out!
4. Tequila Time! Tequila is the Mugsy PR drink of choice and today is #NationalTequilaDay! Enjoy your drinks (responsibly) and don’t forget to drunk comment! Way better than drunk texting, and we love to hear from you!
5. Is There A Singing Spell? Daniel Radcliffe at karaoke singing Eminem’s “Slim Shady” with his girlfriend. Is there anything better than Harry Potter rapping? I think not. We have a funny feeling there may have been some tequila involved here too…lol.