It is hurricane season and while we all stock up our homes here in South Florida, are you thinking about the needs of your office?
Step #1 is to set up your emergency plan. What happens during a hurricane watch or a warning. Do your employees know if they should come into work or stay home? How will they find out updates? What if the power goes out? Plan for EVERYTHING.
Step #2 – Back-Up, Back-up, and Back-Up Again. Every file, every client website, every post-it note on your computer screen – back it up. You never know what may happen, but as long as you use a strong back-up program, ANYTHING can happen and it will be o.k. We use Carbonite and has been a life-saver twice already!
Step #3 is to ensure you have all your insurance documents in order in case anything does happen. Not just your main business insurance, but also any warranty or important documentation to your major (and minor!) office equipment as well. Bet you’re loving those organized office admins now, aren’t ya. 😉 Don’t forget to get a waterproof case for ALL your important docs and store them somewhere high and dry.
Finally Step #4 – Get Handy. You know there are things in your physical office space you’ve been neglecting. Since you didn’t do things months ago, now really is the time to patch the roof and windows, check security and flood lighting, test that your generator is working and make sure the office has flashlights, a first-aid kit, a battery operated radio or TV (with batteries!!) and food/water for any staff as required.
It’s official…it’s Fall in South Florida! While the weather may not have changed much in the last few days, the “season” sure has.
It’s no secret…I’m a native Floridian so I’m used to the changes of South Florida. The weather is somewhat the same, but other aspects of Florida are not. We get our seasonal neighbors back from up north, very advance reservations are needed at restaurants and hotels, the beaches are still hot for everyone in autumn and there are so many events and happenings going on you never have a dull weekend!
This is truly one of my favorite times of the year. It’s almost time to open the windows while it rains to listen to nature’s music and you always meet someone new at one of your favorite places/events.
Is it a busy time of year? Absolutely. It’s what I call a Mugsy kind of season! There’s so much fun going on there’s no way you can’t smile.
Be sure to take a look at the Mugsy PR list of clients on our website to find out what everyone has going on. There’s something for every family, every couple and everyone!
Today has been a tough day for everyone. Whether you start your day by listening to your favorite local radio show, watching national news or checking your social media pages, we were all deeply saddened after learning of two young WBDJ-TV journalists in Virginia who were killed during their live morning broadcast.
Emily and I immediately called each other this morning before starting work once we heard the news. We couldn’t believe it and immediately felt for their news team family – especially the anchor that watched and then had to address their community and viewers after they had all seen the live footage. We were then again grief-stricken after learning about how young Alison Parker and Adam Ward were and everything they had to look forward to – both in their personal and professional lives.
We followed any and all information that was released about this tragedy…hoping that the suspect would be found as soon as possible. Both the dedicated police in the area and the help of everyone sharing information about the shooter helped to make that possible.
The entire Mugsy PR team has had the friends, family and work family of Alison and Adam in our thoughts all day…and I guarantee you that our thoughts will be with all of you forever.
Happy Friday all! To help you make it to your fun weekend, we have tips to help you work smarter instead of harder.
1. Set a Timer: Have a ton of different tasks to get done in a day? Set a timer for increments of 30 minutes and hit each task hard. Make it a contest with yourself to see how many of those tasks you can get done!
2. Keep Positive: If you have emails, reviews or work with positive feedback, keep them! Whenever you’re feeling particularly down in the dumps at your job, peruse through all those files and give yourself a smile!
3. Emails, Emails, Emails: We get TONS of emails a day. Truly…some just can’t wait. However, if you know you have emails that can wait a bit…then wait just 5 minutes or until the end of your timer for another task and then attack those emails!
Check out more great tips to work smart instead of hard this Friday!
The word selfie didn’t exists a few years ago, but now it is in our day-to-day vocabulary, our pop culture lexicon and now, even in legal books.
A Tennessee man is being held in a Chattanooga jail as a “fugitive from NY” after climbing the Brooklyn Bridge and taking a selfie, posting the pic on Instagram.
This is becoming a new trend, with people using selfie sticks and other accessories to get the most daring shots. From selfies during the Bull Run in Spain to Lake Tahoe bear selfies and more, the selfie craze is going to the extreme.
It’s been busy for Mugsy PR these last few weeks and it’s about to get a lot busier and we’re excited about it! So before I continue my day, I want to take a break and share my Fab Five for this week!
1. First Day of School Fun: With Palm Beach County schools having started this week and Broward County starting next week, families are ready for a new year! Not only do I love back to school (and all the office supply sales), I love reminiscing about all the picture days when I went to school. Check out these 12 things everyone experienced on picture day. Which one do you identify with the most?
2. Whoa…That’s a Lot of Repeating: We all have our favorite sayings and catch-phrases. One of mine is holy carpaccio (instead of saying holy crap when I’m in the presence of little ones). I wonder if I say it too much though? Check out this video of clips from Owen Wilson movies and how he repeats a few of the same things over and over in every film!
3. Toasts, Tastes & Trolleys in Boca Raton: This year marks the 4th Annual Toasts, Tastes & Trolleys event hosted by and benefitting the Boca Raton Historical Society & Museum. Never been? You definitely should! The tour meets at the Boca Raton Resort & Club before attendees board a trolley for a fun ride to local restaurants to experience signature hors d’oeuvres and cocktails. Grab your friends and ride around in style! And remember, all ticket sales benefit the Boca Raton Historical Society & Museum. Purchase tickets now!
4. Getting Ready for Fall TV: It’s been a long summer hiatus without some of my favorite shows on. but the time is finally upon us! I myself am very excited for the new Hulu original Hot Wives of Orlando coming back and set in Vegas for Season 2. Take a look at these 5 new fall shows to get excited for as well.
5. Startup Conference Coming to Town: The StartUp Expo SUP-X is coming to the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center this upcoming February. This unique conference brings together startup and early-stage entrepreneurs, angel investors and venture capitalist to mix and mingle with. Also included with be a startup competition offering 50 semi-finalist complimentary space in the event’s 50,000 square-foot exhibition hall alongside corporate sponsors. Have a startup? This will be the place to be!
Ever wonder what runs through our heads? Your dreams have come true. Every day we will share the top five things we have discussed in the Mugsy office. Welcome to the madness!